194 Cowbridge Road East,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Splott (Cardiff) Cinema Co. Ltd.
Styles: Art Deco
Opened circa-1914 in the Canton area of Cardiff and was extended in 1933 by demolishing two houses behind the screen end.
The entrance was moved from the corner to the opposite side where a new lounge had been added. The decorative style resembled most of the cinemas in the group.
Suffered slight damage during an air-raid in 1941 but continued as part of the locally-owned Splott Circuit (later Jackson Withers) of which two groups of four showed the same programmes and changed mid-week. For some time the Canton was grouped with the Gaiety, Tivoli and County. The other group was Splott, Ninian, Regent and Monico (of which more will be written later). The Avenue and Plaza were usually separate.
All the group were equipped with Cinemascope and decorative exterior neon lighting in 1955 and here at the Canton Cinema, the alterations were carried out by the offices of architect David Evelyn Nye. By 1958 closures had begun, the small Tivoli Theatre and the newest, the Avenue Theatre, were first to go.
The Canton Cinema closed for conversion into a supermarket, and under various owners has continued as such ever since. A dance floor built at first floor level was for some time operated as the New Capitol, replacing the former basement dance studio at the Capitol Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.