No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: London & Southern Super Cinemas Ltd., Lou Morris, Odeon Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation
Firms: Blackmore & Sykes
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Regal Cinema, Odeon
Built for Thomas Wade Cinemas Ltd. of Wrath-upon-Dearne. Opened 22 December 1934 as the Regal Cinema with Leslie Howard in “Girls Please”. Sandy Powell, the famous comedian attended opening night at this 1,825 seat cinema (1,097 stalls, 728 circle). It was designed by the Hull based architectural firm Messrs Blackmore & Sykes and was leased to the Lou Morris chain. The Regal Cinema was equipped with a Conacher 3Manual 8 unit theatre organ which was opened by Thomas Dando. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. There was a stage and three dressing rooms and a café/restaurant for the convenience if its patrons and the general public.
By 1937 it was operated by the London & Southern Super Cinemas Ltd. chain. The Regal Cinema was leased to the Odeon circuit in 1946 and was re-named Odeon. The café was converted into a Victor Sylvester Dance Studio in the 1960’s. It was sold by the Rank Organisation to an independent operator in 1975 and renamed Scala Cinema, by 1981 using the circle only. Closed 23rd September 1983 with the film “Porky’s II:The Next Day” starring Dan Monahan.
Became a bingo hall initially named Ritz but later Mecca. On 20th February 2020 the building was put up for sale by auction at an asking price of £600,000+, but failed to sell, with the maximum reached £590,000. Mecca Bingo continued in the building until March 2020 when it was closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The Rank Organisation announced in May 2021 that the Mecca Bingo Club would be closed permanently. Plans were announced in October 2021 that the building would be demolished. In November 2021 it was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
In January 2021, the Conacher organ was acquired by the East Midlands Cinema Organ Association. It will be fully restored at our Centre near Melton Mowbray where it will reside in company with its sister organ from the Forum Cinema, Coventry.