Capitol Theatre

Broadway,
Everett, MA 02149

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Capitol Theatre was one of three movie theatres in Everett, an inner suburb to the northeast of Boston. It was opened in 1926. Further information welcomed.

Contributed by Ron Salters

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on February 28, 2007 at 5:21 am

The MGM Theatre Photograph and Report form for the Capitol in Everett has an exterior photo dated May 1941. The theatre had an entrance in a one-story building. There was a rectangular marquee with “Capitol” in big letters on its front. Above, sticking up in the sky was a big vertical blade sign. On each side of the entrance was a narrow poster case, and there was a center boxoffice. The Report states that the Capitol had been showing MGM films for over 10 years, that it was over 15 years old and in Good condition, and had 1432 orchestra seats and 523 balcony seats, total: 1,955 seats. In the 1942-43 Motion Picture Annual, the Rialto in Everett is listed as being part of the Warner Brothers circuit. Theatre historian Don King wrote on the MGM Report that he believed that the Capitol had been built by Mark of the Strand Theatre in New York, and that he thought that the theatre survived for awhile as a church.Can anyone confirm ?

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on March 1, 2007 at 5:40 am

Correction to the above: it was, of course, the Capitol which was listed as part of Warner Bros. circuit in the 1942-43 Motion Picture Almanac (not “Annual”).

samuel
samuel on March 3, 2007 at 4:12 pm

To Ron Salters Re …..Capitol and Rialto theatre in Everett Ma.
The Capitol indeed was operated by Warner Brothers. They did not own the building and were tied to a lease. When TV came in they did not survive. They never even air conditioned the Theatre although they did air condition the lobby entrance. In the fifties they closed then reopened as a real cheapie. I believe they charged 10cents to see real oldies. Eventually they closed and the building became an Assembly of God church. That lasted for a number of years snd the building then was converted to office space which is what it is now. Rialto info to follow……Sam S

samuel
samuel on March 4, 2007 at 3:35 am

Additional info on Capitol Theatre…..Its interesting to note that in the 50’s before the Capitols initial closing Everett in effect had 2 first run theatres. The PARK and the CAPITOL. Through a formula first run product was split between the two theatres. This made for great choices for Everett moviegoers., One particular weekend comes to mind when the PARK ran White Christmas and the CAPITOL ran A Star is Born…..Not bad for a city the sizes of Everett.

barrygoodkin
barrygoodkin on July 7, 2007 at 7:57 am

From the researh librarian at the Parlin Memorial Library in Everett the Capitol opened on September 6, 1926 by Moe mark of the Mark Strand New England Corporation. Although the Mark Strand Corporation of New York was merged into the Stanley Company of America just about the time the Capitol opened it was not until November of 1929 after Warner Bros. acquired the Stanley Company that the Capitol and its sister theatres in Lynn and Worcester became part of the Warner Bros. theatre circuit.

barrygoodkin
barrygoodkin on July 7, 2007 at 8:21 am

The newspaper account in the Everett Herald and Republican indicated the Capitol opened with a Symphony Orchestra and Wonderful Pipe Organ. The organ make was not listed but it was an Austin 2 manual, 9 rank organ.

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on November 16, 2010 at 10:02 am

The Capitol is listed in the 1927 Film Daily Yearbook, but with no info.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm

The September 24, 1926, issue of Motion Picture News had an article about the openings of the Mark-Capitol Theatre in Everett and the Quincy-Strand Theatre in Quincy. Here are the parts about the Capitol:

“THE Stanley-Mark Strand interests have opened two new theatres in Massachusetts, the Quincy-Strand at Quincy and the Mark-Capitol at Everett. The former seats about 1,800 and the latter 2,300, thus adding 4,100 seats to the Stanley-Mark interests within a week.

“Opening of the Mark-Capitol, Everett, was more elaborate, with remarks by Mayor Lester B. Chisholm and officials and by officers of the corporation. Moe Mark personally supervised the finishing touches to the completion of the theatre.

“As in the case of the Quincy house, the Everett playhouse is simply but richly furnished. The orchestra seats 1,600 and the single balcony 700 more. The projection room is beneath the front centre of the balcony and on a level with the screen and is equipped with Simplex projectors, spots, stereopticon, etc.

“The playhouse is a combination of Egyptian and Roman architecture and the corridors, lobby, etc., are of ample capacity to handle capacity audiences. Both theatres are heavily carpeted. The seats are by the American Seating Co. and an Austin organ is used. A ten-piece orchestra is also used. The policy is straight pictures, with changes of program Mondays and Fridays. The theatre is on Broadway at the upper end of Everett Square, with streets on both sides and parking space is provided for 200 autos in charge of a theatre attendant and without charge to the patrons.

“Erection of the playhouse was under the supervision of Moe Silva, personal representative of Moe Mark in New England, and Allen B. Newhall. Roy Eraser, who was an assistant to Mr. Newhall at Lynn, Mass., is house manager. The ushers were uniformed in tuxedo effects and were carefully trained for their work. The theatre represents a cost of about $300,000.

“One of the most unusual features of the policy is the scale of prices, all seats being 20 cents for matinees and 25 and 30 cents for the evening shows.

“The personnel of the theatre is : President, Moe Mark; treasurer, Joseph M. Levenson; assistant treasurer, Moe Silva; directors, the officers and Max L. Levenson, Nathan Sallinger, Samuel Waxman, Morris Sharaf and Allen B. Newhall. Messrs. Newhall and Silva will have personal supervision of the theatre.

“Both theatres are equipped with ample stages so that full stage productions or vaudeville may be presented at any time. Roth houses have eleven exits and both are of first class construction.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater