511 Chickahsa Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
The Washita Theatre opened in 1941 — replacing an original building which was destroyed by fire. Designed by architect Jack Corgan, it featured a round tower structure in the center of the facade which was decorated in bands of red porcelain. It had a seating capacity for 900, in orchestra and balcony levels. The Washita Theatre remained a movie house for the next sixty years, but finally closed in April 2001.
The Chickasha Community Theatre purchased the Washita Theatre in downtown Chickasha, Oklahoma and renovated and restored the theater into a venue for their theater productions. The group had operated since 1994 without a permanent home and the purchase of the once immensely popular movie house fulfilled their dream.
The original artwork remains although it has been covered by burlap to contain sound in the now-twinned theater.
The balcony had been previously enclosed to form a second screen.
The transformation into a legitimate theater was take to nearly two years (back in 2001), although this was a little optimistic, and completion came in late-2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater