78 York Road,
1 person favorited this theater
A fine free-standing building, the Regal Cinema opened 15 December 1936, designed by William Illingworth. The main facade is on a three sided plan, with five tall arched windows containing critall type steel frames and Art Deco style metalwork with wavey lives and a scallop-shell motif. They are arranged; one in each outer flank and three in the centre above the main entrance. The bulk of the auditorium is in red brick.
The cinema was renamed Essoldo Theatre after it was taken over in 1955 and ceased showing films in the late-1960’s. It became a bingo club which closed on 6th November 2018.
The bingo operation had served the building well and interior is little altered, retaining the flanking grilles either side of the proscenium (width 42 feet), seating in the circle, and the original plasterwork throughout the building. Only the stalls seating has been replaced with tables and chairs.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater