Cottonwood Mall 4
5001 Highland Dr.,
Salt Lake City,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cottonwood Mall theater opened on July 10, 1968 with an invitational premiere of "The Thomas Crown Affair." The theater, which had 850 seats and a "four dimensional sound system," was originally called the "Fox Cottonwood Mall."
Construction of the theater was begun by Fox Intermountain Theatres, but by the time it was completed the theater chain had become National General Corporation.
In December 1976, the original auditorium was split into two screens, and in January or February of 1977, two additional auditoriums were completed.
In 1982, a new triplex was built down the street and was originally called Cottonwood 5-6-7, as if it was an extension of the Cottonwood Mall theater, but it was generally referred to as the Creekside Cinemas.
The Cottonwood Mall 4 had one large theater with about 500 seats and showed several films in 70mm, including "Batman," "2010," and "Brainstorm." The theater had a Norelco projector that may have originally been installed in the Villa in 1958 for "South Pacific."
It was one of the last three 70mm-equipped theaters in the Salt Lake area.
In 2001, Carmike Cinemas installed new projectors and added digital sound to two of the auditoriums that did not already have it.
Despite this effort to improve the theater, attendance declined because of the many new multiplexes built in the area. The theater closed on February 14, 2002.
During its last couple of days of operation, the phone recording at the theater said, "We will be closing our doors for the last time on Valentine’s Day, the 14th. So come in and see a movie here for the last time. We would like to thank everyone, and especially thanks for our regulars, for coming in."
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater