13-21 Baldwin Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally opened as a music hall in 1892, it was known as the People’s Palace and was built for and operated by Horace Livermore. Livermore converted it into a full-time cinema from February 1912. From 1920 it was taken over by the Biocolour Picture Theatres circuit which became part of the Gaumont British Theatres circuit in November 1926. It was closed on 30th June 1927 and the auditorium was reconstructed behind the original facade.
Designed by noted architect Frank T. Verity it re-opened on 14th February 1928 as the New Palace Cinema, later named Palace Cinema.
It was re-named Gaumont Theatre in 1952 and the auditorium was modernised in around 1960. The Rank Organisation closed the Gaumont on 15th March 1980 and it was converted into a nightclub. It has undergone several name changes in this use and was last known as ‘Creation’ which closed in 2016. In September 2019 the inside of the auditorium was gutted for conversion into student accomodation. The facade of the building is Listed and has been retained.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater