Bartlett Theatre

311 Waukegan Avenue,
Highwood, IL 60040

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Bartlett Theatre, Highwood, IL

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Bartlett Theatre opened in 1912. It closed in 1951. In the late 1960’s it re-opened briefly as the Highwood Theatre which lasted a couple of years or so. From 1971 until 1975 it operated as the Cinema Club showing X-rated movies.

The theatre became a Mexican grocery store, and by 2013 is a deli.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft, Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 8, 2007 at 6:11 pm

A Barton theater organ size 2/3 was installed in the Bartlett Theater in 1927. Note: Style 20, Wangerin opus 507; cost $2,750.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 13, 2008 at 10:48 am

From Boxoffice magazine, May 1950:

Abbott Theater Equipment Co. has installed new Ideal seats at Vincent Quarte’s Bartlett Theater in Highwood, Ill.

LouisRugani
LouisRugani on July 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm

An under-the-marquee photo and a bit of history at View link

Hugh
Hugh on September 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm

In the 1960s, local opera singer Gloria Lind floated an idea to turn the theater into an opera house. (Highwood has a large Italian population.) I do not recall reading any follow-up after the initial announcement.

LouRugani
LouRugani on July 17, 2013 at 5:12 pm

The Bartlett was the first theater in Highwood, owned by Danny Bartlett, with Bartlett Cabs next door. The Bartlett was later managed by the Quarta brothers from Lake Forest and renamed it the Highwood Theatre. In the 1970s, Highwood’s Mayor Fidel Ghini pressured the theatre to close for showing X-rated movies.

Bruce C.
Bruce C. on December 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

The Bartlett Theatre is currently Isaac & Moishe’s Deli, Fruits & Vegetables.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater