Portswood Road, Portswood,
1 person favorited this theater
With Civic pomp, Mayor Henry Bower declared the Palladium "open" on 17th February, 1913. It was then best described in three ways; "The prettiest picture palace outside of London," "With flicker-free projection," and being "Quite Cosy." Auditorium decorations reflected a blue theme; walls revealed the famous Wedgewood style in typical pale blue. Seating was a plush velvet Royal blue and consisted of 500 in the stalls while only 150 seats occupied the small balcony. It was designed by architect Ingleton Sanders of the firm Jurd & Sanders.
This was a popular local cinema due to its location across from the tram station. Wounded WW1 British troops attended a screening of "Tipperary" along with Belgian refugees. Projection was from the main floor but after 45 years of showing films, the curtains closed for the last time in 1958 with the great British Margaret Rutherford comedy " Murder at St. Trinian’s." After modernizing the front, by removing the old glass canopy, this venerable building has lost its cinema look and now serves the public as a Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater