No one has favorited this theater yet
The Dominion Theatre was opened on 3rd December 1930 with George Arlis in “Disraeli”. Designed by architect Joseph Gomersall, a local Salfordian who went on to build many excellent cinemas in the Dury & Gomersall partnership. It was located at the corner of Ordsall Lane and Regent Road in the Regent Bridge district of Salford. It was built for and operated by the J.F. Emery Circuit.
In 1949, the cinema became part of the Essoldo Circuit. The name of the cinema then changed to the Essoldo.
This name was arrived at by the combination of the first two letters of owner’s wife’s name ESther, the first three letters of his name SOLomon, and the first two letters of his daughter’s name DOrothy - "Essoldo".
By the 1960’s, the cinema was struggling due to the onslaught of television and, in 1966, the owners applied to the council to turn the Essoldo into a bingo hall. Although this application was originally turned down, the cinema did become a bingo hall in 1968 having shown its last film in February of that year.
It remained the "Windsor Bingo Club" until it was demolished in 1978.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater