234 E. 4th Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres
Previous Names: Cheroske's Egyptian Theatre, Fox Egyptian Theatre
Built for and operated by the Cheroske’s Brothers (Arthur & Anton), their Egyptian Theatre was opened on April 24, 1924 with Marion Davis in “Little Old New York”. It was designed by architect Fred J. Ward. It was equipped with a 2 manual Smith organ which was opened by Chaunsey Haines Jr. who was also one of the managing directors of the operating company. The organ has ‘special chimes in the lobby’. The main curtain drop was made in Egypt and imported from Paris. There was only one other like it on the Pacific Coast. In 1925 the Egyptian Theatre became a West Coast Theatres house.
It was closed on January 28, 1959 with Kirk Douglas in “Last Train from Gun Hill” & Anton Diffring in “The Man Who Could Cheat Death”. It was demolished in October 1959.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.