Kine 1 & 2
14-16 Long Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Van Riebeeck Theatre was situated at the corner of Long Street and Riebeeck Street, Cape Town. It was built in 1951 by the 20th Century Fox organisation.
The seating in this luxury cinema was accommodated in stalls and circle sections. It was the last of the large auditorium cinemas to be built in Cape Town’s downtown theatreland. It was first cinema in Cape Town capable of the 70mm Todd AO projection process with enhanced multichannel sound for the Mike Todd productions of the mid-1950’s.
The Van Riebeeck Theatre was named after Jan Van Riebeeck the Dutch Commander, who landed on the shores of Table Bay in 1652 almost exactly 300 years earlier, to set up a refreshment station for passing sailing ships of the Dutch East Indies Company.
In the early-1970’s the theatre was renovated and altered to a two screen complex and renamed Kine 1 and Kine 2. It was then part of the Ster-Kinekor chain.
This complex closed in the early-1990’s and the building was demolished. An office block housing an insurance company has been erected on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater