47-49 Teme Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Regal Cinema, Tenbury (Official)
Previously operated by: Craven Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: Ernest S. Roberts
The Regal Cinema opened on 29th July 1937 with Cicely Courtneidge in "Everybody Dance" and Laurel & Hardy in "Them Thar Hills". It was built for the Caraven Cinemas chain. There were two small shops on either side of the entrance. In the auditorium the capacity of seating for 304 was divided in stalls and circle areas. It is a perfect example of a 1930’s ‘super cinema’ carried out on a miniture scale and has been little altered over the years.
In later years it was taken over by the town council, who built a community centre at the rear of the building. The Regal is used today for amateur dramatic shows, operatics and other live performances. Films are also a regular part of the programme. The interior is painted in an Atmospheric style in a Middle Eastern setting with palm trees etc., by artist George Legge.
Sadly, the Regal Cinema was badly affected by the devastating floods which hit this part of England on 20th July 2007. It was temporarily closed while repairs and renovations were carried out and it re-opened on 19th January 2008.
The Regal Cinema is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.