Harpos Concert Theatre
14238 Harper Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Wisper-Wetsman Theaters
Architects: Charles N. Agree
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Harper Theatre
Opened December 2, 1939, for the Wisper-Wetsman Theaters circuit, the Harper Theatre was designed by Charles N. Agree in Art Moderne style.
The theatre was complete with an 80-foot vertical sign spelling out the theatre’s name (which could be seen for blocks up and down Harper Avenue).
The Harper Theatre cost about $290,000 to build, and was at the time one of the most modern-looking theatres to open in Detroit. It also featured murals in the lobby and auditorium by Thomas di Lorenzo.
It was converted into a nightclub in the 1970’s, and currently is home to Harpos Concert Theatre, the premier venue for heavy-metal and industrial rock bands in Detroit.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 6 comments)
Here is a 1939 photo:
2 images added courtesy of John Romanowski.
Drove by Harpo’s today, Sunday March 20, 2016. The marquee was virtually empty and it does not appear to be open. Building looks to be in good shape, though.
The website is advertising events at this venue for the next 2 months out.
Well that’s good to hear. Just looked rather forlorn and empty when we drove by a week ago.