Diamond Banqueting Suite
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Odeon Theatre was one of the original Odeon’s built for the Oscar Deutsch, Odeon Theatres Ltd chain. The Odeon opened on 11th September 1937 with Conrad Veidt in "Dark Journey". Externally it dominates the street, with its cream faiance tiling on the entrance block and around the large window which allowed light into the foyer. There is a slab tower over the entrance, which is covered in black tiles.
Inside the auditorium, seating is arranged in stalls and circle with 1,272 seats in the stalls and 668 in the circle. A series of stepped troughs with decorative edges, held the concealed lighting to illuminate the space.
In October 1973 the Odeon was tripled with 622 seats in the fomer balcony and two mini screens in the rear stalls under the balcony which seated 96 and 111. The Odeon was closed on 4th June 1983 with "The Boys in Blue", "Table For Five" and "Nutcracker". It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club with the cinema tripling removed to create one auditorium again.
In recent years it was a Mecca Bingo Club, but this was closed in March 2007, a victim in anticipation of the Government’s new law which bans smoking in public places from 1st July 2007. The building was put up ‘For Sale’.
In October 2009, it had been refurbished and re-opened as the Diamond Banqueting Suite.
In October 2000, the former Odeon was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater