No one has favorited this theater yet
The Scala Cinema was originally called the Picturedrome, and was built in 1913. The 1,200-seater was designed by A. Eaton Painter and incorporated domes, arches and pillars into its design. It was re-named the Scala Cinema after the First World War, with a new owner, the Midland Amusements Company.
In 1920 the cinema was sold again, to Midlands Entertainments Ltd. By the mid-1920’s it had been acquired by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres/Associated Provincial Picture Houses. It closed briefly in 1925 for a complete refurbishment before re-opening on 28th September 1925 as part of the Gaumont British Theatres chain. The cinema finally closed on 1st December, 1956. The stalls area was converted into a supermarket, while the former balcony was extended forward and converted into a dance hall, which later went over to bingo use. (Source: Wolverhampton Archives and Local Studies).
All that remains of the Scala Cinema today is part of the cinema facade which, it is hoped, will be incorporated into any new development of the existing site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater