No one has favorited this theater yet
The Eastbourne Picture Theatre opened on Seaside in June 1914. It was equipped with a ‘Clavorchestra’ organ which was manufactured by Brindley and Forster of Sheffield. In 1915 it was re-named Empire Cinema and in 1921 it was re-named Elysium Cinema.
In 1936 it came under the ownership of Randolph E. Richards and was re-vamped and underwent yet another name change to Gaiety Cinema. The Gaiety Cinema was closed during the heavy German bombing of the South Coast in September and October 1940 and remained closed until 1942.
In 1966, Randolph E. Richards sold the Gaiety Cinema and his other Eastbourne cinema, the Picturedrome to Classic Cinemas Ltd. and the Gaiety Cinema was re-named New Classic Cinema. It was closed on 17th November 1973. The building became a funeral home.
By 2016 it was the Princess-Empire, a childrens beauty salon.
In 2005, it was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater