No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the North Wales town of Conwy (originally known as Conway, Carnarvon). The Palace Cinema opened on 6th January 1936 with Hugh Williams in "Lieutenant Daring R.N.".
It was designed by architect Sydney Colwyn Foulkes for independent operator Mr H. Christmas Jones. The front of the building was originally a Georgean house which had been in use as a bank for many years. It was built of grey weather-worn stone, fitting in nicely with the old townscape. Behind this was built the modern cinema’s auditorium block. Inside the auditorium was rather plain, but there was a reason for this. The lighting was by Holophane, which was able bathe the audiorium in over 400 tints and hues of colour. There are six silvered columns on each side of the proscenium opening which reflected the lighting. Across the top of the proscenium were panels in silver, which showed the faces of leading film stars of the 1930’s. The ceiling was a plain ‘dome’ which had the Holophane lighting ‘played’ onto it. There was a cafe located in the balcony foyer which provided refreshments to patrons.
Of all the cinemas that were built in the U.K. in 1936, the Palace Cinema received the title ‘Cinema of the Year’ and the architect was given a ‘special design award’.
In the 1970’s occasional stage shows were included in the programming. The proscenium was 28 feet wide and two dressing rooms had been provided. The Palace Cinema closed in the early-1980’s and was converted into an independently operated bingo club, which operated until its closing in early-2013.
The former Palace Cinema is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater