No one has favorited this theater yet
The building is located next to the Long Bridge across the river Severn and was originally built and designed by Thomas Penson in 1830-32 as a Flannel Exchange Mart, later becoming a Public Hall and then a post office. In 1919 it was converted into a concert and theatre hall, known as the Scala and opened at Easter 1920. Cinema use came quickly and by 1921 it was advertised as the Scala Picture House. Seating was provided for 500, the stage was 18 feet deep and there were two dressing rooms. There was a ballroom located in the basement.
In 1936 it was taken over by an independent company operated by Guy Baker, known as Paramount Picture Theatres and was closed for re-modeling.
The building was stripped out and re-built internally. It re-opened on 21st June 1937 as the Regent Cinema with George Arlis in "His Lordship". Advertised as ‘Newtown’s Modern Luxury Cinema’ it could now seat 800 in stalls and circle. The proscenium was 27 feet wide and the stage area remained the same as before. The basement ballroom was also retained.
By mid-1977 it was announced that film performances would be reduced and the Regent would be programming more live shows and wrestling. By 1979, bingo had been introduced on Friday evenings and in January 1979 a Pantomime was staged. In 1980, the ballroom was closed and was used for storage.
In late summer 1983, the owner Guy Baker died and the Regent was closed and put up ‘For Sale’. It was purchased by a local syndicate and re-opened as a 210 seat cinema on 15th December 1986, using the circle seating only. Renovated in the early 1990’s it now has a second screen seating 40 persons in another part of the building. The ballroom is now a nightclub.
The Regent Cinema is designated as a Grade II listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater