No one has favorited this theater yet
The flagship cinema of the Paramount Picture Theatres (North Wales) Circuit. The circuit Head Office was housed in the former Clive Picture House just down the road.
The Pola Cinema was opened on 18th April 1938 with George Arlis in his last film role “Dr. Syn”. The total seating capacity was 780 seats, with 500 is the stalls and 280 in the stadium style "balcony" to the rear. There was a stage and dressing rooms.
The theatre (in common with the rest of the circuit) survived on split weeks of second run programmes for much of the time. The Pola Cinema staged an annual professional pantomime and there were variety shows and wrestling matches. Bingo ran one night a week on Fridays from the mid-1960’s.
When circuit boss Guy Baker died in 1983 all of the theatres closed. The Pola Cinema was re-opened as a cinema/nightclub about 18 months later. The reduced capacity cinema used seating in the balcony area and was run by former circuit engineer Charlie Thacker until his death in 2006. Charlie’s son took over the management of the theatre and an additional auditorium has opened in the building.
The Pola Cinema was closed in 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater