80 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Broadway Cinema opened in April 1935 and was built for the independent Prestwick Cinema Company Ltd. The exterior of the building had two wings, which rounded onto a central recessed section over the entrance. Seating in the auditorium was provided in stalls and circle. The proscenium was 34 feet wide. There was a cafe located over the entrance and a large car park at the rear.
The Broadway Cinema went over to part-time bingo use in the early-1960’s and by 1966, films had ceased and it became a full time bingo club. At some point in the 1970’s it reverted back from bingo club to cinema use. This closed on 20th November 1976 with “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. By April 1983, the foyer and rear stalls area became an amusement arcade. The front stalls section was later converted into squash courts, with a false ceiling suspended. The former circle and cafe areas are now un-used.
In 2003, the building was sold, with plans put forward to demolish the auditorium and build a hotel, retaining the facade and foyer areas as its entrance. By early-2008 this had not happened and the entire building remained unused. In early-2017 there were hopes that it could be developed as a community centre.
On 9th August 2004, Historic Scotland designated the Broadway Cinema a Grade C(s) Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater