17 Vinicombe Street, Hillhead,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Hillhead Picture Salon was one of the first suburban cinemas in Glasgow. It is located in the west end of the city. Opened on 4th October 1913 with a seating capacity of 763, it was designed by the architecural firm Brand & Lithgow. It is a long low building which has a dome over the entrance. Seating was provided is stalls and a small circle. The auditorium has a deeply coffered ceiling, with moulded plaster garland decorations on the walls.
In 1931 it was re-furbished to the plans of architect James McKissack and the seating capacity was reduced to 600. It was an independently operated local cinema and was very popular in the area.
In April 1969 it was sold to the Fyfe & Fyfe entertainment company and was refurbished. Caledonian Associated Cinemas(CAC) took over in 1987 and they operated it until its sudden closure on 12th October 1992. Local protests and petitions were organised to have the Salon Cinema re-opened, but these came to nothing. After laying empty for a while, it was converted into a restaurant, known as Littlejohn’s. On 6th October 2001, it re-opened as the Gong bar/restaurant. It was refurbished in 2007 and re-named ‘The Salon’ and screens films occasionally.
On 22nd March 1977, Historic Scotland designated the Salon Cinema a Grade B Listed building. This was up-graded to Grade A Listed in June 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater