No one has favorited this theater yet
The Kings Theatre & Hippodrome opened on 15th March 1909. Designed by architect Frank Thomson in a mix of Baroque and Rococo styles, the auditorium had seating for 2,227 in stalls, dress circle and balcony with boxes on each side of the stage. There was a saucer domed ceiling which had painted frescoes and the proscenium was marble.
It was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT), opening as a cinema on 24th September 1928. A Wurlitzer 2Manual/6Rank organ was installed, with the console on a lift. The seating capacity was reduced to 1,458 by closing the balcony seating area.
In February 1929 PCT were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres Ltd. It was re-named Gaumont from 8th May 1950.
In 1961, the interior of the Gaumont was entirely re-built. A suspended ceiling was insterted at balcony level and the side-walls and proscenium were covered over. Most of the original decoration was retained, but was now totally hidden from view. It was re-named Odeon after the closure of the former (now demolished) Vogue/Odeon in 1973. The Odeon closed on 24th October 1981 and the building was converted into a bingo club from May 1983.
Bingo use ended in the late-1990’s and the building became a nightclub, known as Deja-Vu, by 2017 re-named Joy.
On 30th June 1989, Historic Scotland designated the Odeon a Grade B Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater