7 Rolle Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The building that the Savoy Cinemas is located in, opened on 10th August of 1877 as Exmouth Public Hall and was designed by architect J. Johnson of London. Moving pictures were being shown here from at least 1910 and in 1930 it was re-named the Capitol Cinema. It is listed as the Savoy Cinema in the 1937 edition of the Kinematograph Yearbook with a seating capacity of 850. The proscenium was 26 feet wide, the stage 21 feet deep and there were six dressing rooms. During the early-1940’s a German bomb fell on the Savoy Cinema, but it failed to explode.
In 1979 plans were put forward to re-develop the Savoy Cinema and it was closed. An amusement arcade opened in the stalls area. In 1987 the South East Devonshire District Council took over the building and did some renewal work, including converting it into a twin screen cinema. It re-opened on 24th July 1987 with 230 seats and 110 seats with “The Living Daylights” and “Superman IV”. One of the cinemas was located on what had been the former stage. In July 1994 a third screen seating 100 was created out of a former cafe area. Today, this third screen seats 70 people.
The Savoy Cinemas is now operated by the independent Scott Cinemas Ltd. chain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater