Hippodrome Cinema

Corporation Street,
St. Helens, WA10 1EQ

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

Picturedrome
Picturedrome on May 19, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hippodrome, Corporation Street, St Helens, Merseyside. WA10. Architect: J A Brown (1902 Empire Palace Theatre). It was called Hippodrome by 1904 when the proprietors were Thomas Barrasford, W Sley & F Willmot. Proprietor: Frank E. Spring’s Circuit (date?). Proprietor: South Lancs Theatres, +1929 KYB. Closed 1937, the auditorium was completely remodelled for cinema use. Reopened 8 August 1938 as New Hippodrome, with Anna Neagle in “Victoria the Great”. Renamed Hippodrome. Proprietor: Empire Cinema (Wigan) Ltd, by 1940 to 1943 KYBs. Closed 31 August 1963. Reopened 1 Sep 1963 as a Bingo Hall. Later Surewin Bingo by the1980s. Still operating (2013) as Hippodrome Bingo.

Ian
Ian on March 9, 2008 at 6:33 am

Photographs of the Hippodrome, taken in 1996, can be seen here:–

Exterior
View link

View link

Interior
View link

View link

View link

View link

View link