Old London Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regent Cinema opened on 5th December 1933 with Diana Wynyard in “Cavalcade”. It was designed by architect G.H. Fawcett of Scarborough and was owned by the New Cinema (Penrith) Ltd. It had 717 seats in stalls and single balcony. It had a simple, but dignified facade of two storeys with 5 tall narrow windows arranged 1 – 3- 1 on the upper level, one at either side of the ground floor level with four entrance doors under the central windows. There was a cafe-lounge located over the entrance.
It had a largely uneventful life, becoming the sole cinema in the town in 1971 when the Alhambra closed. However in 1984 the Regent showed its last films “Baby Love-Lemon Popsicle 5” and “American Raspberry” on 1st March, as films returned to the sub-divided Alhambra. The Regent was then converted into a furniture showroom, most likely with minimal structural alteration. However, it has recently been completely gutted inside to provide 15 single flats for young people and a cyber-cafÃ© known as The Sphere or the Eden Rural Foyer Project.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater