Oddfellows Hall Cinema
at the corner with Booth Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of Booth Street and Stamford Street, this building had had several previous uses, including live theatre, before it was converted into the Oddfellows Hall Cinema on 13th September 1909. It was believed to have been at first and second floor levels with meeting rooms on the ground floor.
It opened in 1855 as the Oddfellows Hall, and was converted for concerts and music hall entertainments in 1863. Later going under the title of the Peoples Opera House, it had a period of more respectable fare, such as D'Oyly Carte Opera, before reverting back to music hall.
The Oddfellows Hall Cinema had a short life, as it closed in April 1915, having lost its Cinematograph licence due to the structural condition of the building. It appears back in listings in around 1939 as the Stamford Cinema, operated by Snape & Ward. By 1947 it was operated by Liverpool based B & S Cinemas, but seems to have closed around 1950. In later years it became a pub, a hotel named the Aston Hotel, then a club named Hudsons, which entailed stripping out the interior decor.
Very recently it seems to have been demolished except for the outer walls on Stamford Street and Booth Street with new-build apartments and a shop constructed behind the restored facades.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater