Apollo 5 Cinemas

King William Street,
Blackburn, BB1 7DT

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Majestic Cinema

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Cotton Exchange was built in 1865 and was designed in an Ecclesiastical (church) style by a Mr Breakspeare. Used as a multi-purpose hall, traveling film shows were held here. In late-1918 it became a full-time cinema, known as the Exhange Picture Hall. The projection box was located inside the tower on the corner of the building.

On 31st March 1924 it was re-named New Majestic Cinema and was completely re-furbished by architects L.H. Maxwell and G.G. Dickinson with a seating capacity of 1,500. Taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in 1932, they modernised the building’s interior and re-opened it in October 1932 as the Majestic Cinema, with a reduced seating capacity of 1,400 in stalls and circle levels.

The architectural firm Drury & Gomersall renovated the cinema in 1953 and it was was taken over by an independent operator, becoming the first cinema in East Lancashire to screen "The Robe" in CinemaScope, from 7th June 1954. In December 1955 it was taken over by the Essoldo circuit of Newcastle and re-named Essoldo.

Further renovations were carried out in March 1967 when it was taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain, and re-named Classic Cinema. It was tripled in March 1976, with the former circle seating 316 and two screens in the former stalls seating 186 and 256.

Unit 4 Cinemas took control in 1981 and in 1992 Apollo Leisure took over, adding two more screens in other parts of the building. Total seating capacity was now 799, with the screens seating; 295, 186, 99, 104 and 115.

The Apollo 5 Cinemas closed on 22nd December 2005, unable to compete with the new Vue multiplex which had opened in the town. In late 2006, the interior of the building was gutted, revealing original stonework, the stage, many stained glass windows and a rose window, all of which had been covered over in 1924 when it became the Majestic Cinema. The building is being converted into a mixed retail and resurant use. The former Cotton Exchange Hall is a Grade I Listed building.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 16, 2008 at 2:16 am

This scanned image from 1963, shows the tower and entrance to the (then named) Essoldo Cinema:
http://flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/2445777802/

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 16, 2008 at 2:48 am

A vintage postcard view and details of the Cotton Exchange Hall:
View link

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater