Grand Cinema

Church Street,
Frodsham, WA6

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Grand Cinema was built by the railway bridge in Frodsham, Cheshire. It belonged from the 1940’s to Byrom Pictures based in Liverpool. It is believed to have originally opened in 1923.

Five steps led to a small entrance hall with the paybox on the right. Opposite was a staircase that led to a small balcony, there was no balcony waiting room. Next to the paybox was the manager’s office. Off the balcony staircase there was a door that led to the projection room. It was equipped with Kalee 8 machines and a Vernox sound system. The proscenium width was 24 feet and the stage 13 feet deep. Under the stage were two dressing rooms.The last manager was a Mr James Turner.

The Grand Cinema usually showed films for three days, Mon Tues Wed, Thurs Fri Sat, there was no Sunday opening. Shows were presented in the evening only apart from a Wednesday matinee and a Children’s matinee on a Saturday afternoon. The last film screened was “Carry on Regardless” on Saturday 5th August 1961 and it was demolished later that year.

Contributed by David A Ellis

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Davell
Davell on July 14, 2008 at 11:07 am

Frodsham Cinema Company Ltd first owned the Grand. By the early 1940s it was run by Byrom Picture Houses Ltd based at 51a Rodney Street, Liverpool. A Mr Philip M. Hamner, who also booked the films ran this.

In the summer, entrance doors to the auditorium would be left open and a curtain would be pulled across to block out light. Some seats at the rear of the auditorium were reserved for staff only.

Davell
Davell on July 16, 2008 at 11:07 am

At the top of the building was a red neon sign spelling GRAND. Back in the 1940s, the cinema staged occasional live amateur shows. The screen was pushed back for these. A Mr Tom Fyall, who was the manager had his own dance troupe called Tom Fyall’s Dainty Dots. Other entertainers included the Josy Taylor accordian band from Wales, comedian Archie Warren and singer Lorna Plummer. The hall was coloured red and gold. The curtains (tabs) were red with a gold fringe. Seating was red tip-up. The last manager was a Mr James Turner, who was known locally as Jimmy Pictures.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater