New Picture House
117 North Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Picture House opened in December 1930 with Bernice Claire in “No, No, Nanette”. Designed by local architects James Gillespie & Scott. Seating was provided for 936 in stalls and circle levels in the rather long and narrow auditorium. The side-walls have panels decorated with painted local scenes by artist Ada Hill Walker. The cinema has a 35 feet wide proscenium, an 18 feet deep stage, 6 dressing rooms and there was also a cafe for the convenience of patrons.
A second screen seating 124 was added in 1980 and a third screen seating 100 was added in 2001, both these in the rear stalls area under the circle. The main original auditorium remains basically unaltered, apart from new luxury seating installed in the front of circle, and it now seats 475 in the front stalls and circle. The former cafe is now used as a bar.
The New Picture House was designated a Grade B Listed building by Historic Scotland on 2nd June 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater