Hill Street and King Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Danilo Cinema opened on 27th November 1939 with Edward G. Robinson in “Confessions of a Nazi Spy”. Designed by local Tunstal architect A. Glyndon Sherwin, it had a spectacular Art Deco style interior with a "cut-away" proscenium opening and a Holophane lighting system. It had 1,800 seats in stalls and circle.
It was taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo Cinemas chain in August 1954 and was re-named Essoldo. The Essoldo Cinema closed on 16th April 1966 with Sean Connery in “Thunderball”. It then spent many years as a bingo hall, first as Essoldo Big Bingo, then Ladbrokes, Top Rank Bingo and finally Mecca Bingo Club which closed on 22nd April 1998. It then underwent a Â£600,000 transformation into a live music venue called The Lomax. This failed and the operation went into liquidation – the interior of the building is believed to have been wrecked with all metal stripped out.
The former Danilo Cinema was sold, and it was demolished in July/August 2008. A sad end to a fine cinema building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater