314-316 F Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Built in 1912, the Lyceum Theatre boasted a litany of different names during its 72 year existence. In the year of 1914 alone the theatre’s name was changed twice; once to Gaiety Theatre and later to Little Theatre. Over the next decade the theatre would continue to play the name game until 1924 when it became the Liberty Theatre. It would stay that way until 1936, when it became Hollywood Burlesque Theatre, featuring stiptease dancers and vaudeville acts.
In late-1960s, as the porn industry began to permeate downtown San Diego, the theatre fell into disrepair and closed in Febuary of 1970.
Vincent Miranda (of Walnut Properties) would eventually purchase two square blocks of dowtown that same year, which included the Hollywood Burlesque Theatre. He fixed up the decaying movie house and renamed it the Off-Brodway Theatre, opening it on March 6 1971. For awhile the theatre was a popular venue for stage shows. Unfortunately, the lights dimmed once again for the theatre and Miranda was forced to close its doors in 1975. He would later market the theatre as a porn house (during which it operated under the names Cabaret Theatre and Pussycat Theatre).
It would have a brief tenure under the name Lyceum Theatre once again before being demolished in 1985 to provide parking for the new Horton Plaza Shopping Center.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater