14 Langney Road,
3 people favorited this theater
The Picturedrome opened on 21st December 1920 with Victor McLaglen in "The Call of the Road", which was accompanied by Meny’s Celebrated Orchestra. Seating was provided in the auditorium for 1,100 in stalls and circle levels. It became part of the small local circuit operated by Randolph Richards.
The Picturedrome was damaged by German bombs in 1940, but quickly re-opened. It was sold to the Classic Cinemas chain in 1966 and was re-named Curzon Cinema. Classic Cinemas tripled the Curzon cinema and the seating capacities are now:530 in the former circle and two screens in the former stalls seating 236 each.
The Curzon Cinema was closed on 16th January 2020 with Jennifer Hudson in “Cats” playing to an audience of 10 and Emma Thompson in “Last Christmas” playing to an audience of 27. The previous two weeks had not seen one customer! With almost a year to go for its 100th birthday, the new 8-screen Cineworld in The Beacon shopping centre, which opened on 12th July 2019, is blamed for the closure of the Curzon Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater