Pier Pavilion Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
Eastbourne Pier was opened in 1870. It had a small 400-seat theatre at the seaward end which opened in 1888. It was destroyed by a fire, and a new 1,100-seat Pier Pavilion Theatre replaced it, opening in 1901. Films were screened as part of the programme in the early days. It had a 26 feet wide proscenium and a 21 feet deep stage. There were eight dressing rooms and one chorus room.
In 1922, a 900-seat pavilion was added at the shore-end of the pier. Known as the Blue Room, it was mainly used for dances.
The Pier Pavilion Theatre was operating as a cartoon cinema in the 1969 summer season. It was destroyed by a fire in January 1970. It was replaced by the Atlantis Nightclub, which survives today.
On 29th July 2014, a major fire destroyed the former Blue Room, which in recent years had been used as an amusement arcade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater