1 Piccadilly Circus,
3 people favorited this theater
This large freestanding building opened as a music hall on 30th November 1885. It was designed by architect J.E. Saunders with the exterior designed by R.J. Worley. It was remodelled in 1886 and in 1900 architectural firm Wylson & Long rebuilt the auditorium in a Louis XV style and there were a series of panel pictures on the walls by artist J.M. Boekbinder. It closed as a music hall in 1918 and was taken over by C.B. Cochran on 3rd August 1918, operating as a live theatre, presenting musical revues, the first one was titled “As You Were” starring Alice Delysia which ran for 434 performances. In 1932 it presented variety shows until it was closed on 7th April 1934.
In 1934, the interior was gutted and transformed into a cinema to the design of Frederick G. M. Chancellor of the Frank Matcham Company, and Cecil Masey. It was unusual because it retained two balconies in the irregular shaped site. Seating capacities were provided for 716 in the stalls, 242 in the circle and 251 in the balcony. The London Pavilion was operated by United Artists from its opening as a cinema on 5th September 1934 as their main premiere cinema in London. The opening film was Douglas Fairbanks in “The Private Life of Don Juan”.
On 5th October 1962 the London Pavilion hosted the World Premiere of “Dr. No” starring Sean Connery. On 26th June 1963 the Royal World Premiere of “Tom Jones” starring Albert Finney was attended by His Royal Highness, The Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. On 6th July 1964 the London Pavilion held the World Premiere of The Beatles in “A Hard Days Night”. On 27th July 1965 the Royal World Premiere of “Help!” starring The Beatles drew a crowd of 10,000 fans outside the cinema. On 29th December 1965 the London Pavilion shared a Gala Premiere of Sean Connery in “Thunderball” with the nearby Rialto Theatre. On 18th October 1967 the World Premiere of John Lennon in “How I Won the War” was held here. On 7th August 1968 the European Premiere of “The Graduate” starring Anne Bancroft & Dustin Hoffman was held here. On July 17, 1968 The Beatles “Yellow Submarine” had its World Premiere here.
It closed on April 26, 1981 and despite some pleas to have it returned to theatre usage, the London Pavilion was sold and all but the outside walls demolished to have a shopping mall constructed inside.
There were plans to have been two replacement cinemas located on the top floor, but no one seemed interested in operating them and the spaces were converted into Madame Tussaud’s Rock-and-Roll wax museum.
After many years as a failed shopping centre combined with the next-door Trocadero Centre, five floors inside the building were converted into a ‘Ripley’s - Believe It, or Not’ ‘odditorium’ exhibition space in August 2008.
In early-2020 plans were proposed to convert the building into a hotel.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater