Jiron Carabaya 913, Plaza San Martin,
No one has favorited this theater yet
One of the historic cinemas of Lima, it is housed in a Classical style building dating from around 1921 when the Plaza San Martin was first constructed.
The Cine Metro was a project of Metro Goldwyn Mayer and was opened in May 1936. The main architect of the project was Jose Alvarez Calderon, assisted in the designs by Guillermo Payet and Fernando Schimanetz with an interior in an Art Deco style. There are five alcoves on each side of the proscenium opening which originally cointained concealed lighting. The main side-walls have a ribbed effect on panels divided by flat pillars. Seating was provided for 1,390 with 624 on the orchestra level, 414 in a raised/stepped mezzanine level at the rear and 352 in the overhanging balcony.
The interior was re-furbished in May 1956 and the seating in the raised mezzanine was reduced to 346. The Metro was equipped with air-conditioning at this time. It was home to MGM feature films for many years and closed as a cinema in the early 2000’s. It is now an Evangelist church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater