2 people favorited this theater
A large building sitting in the centre of Bridgend town, the back of which could clearly be seen from the mainline railway.
It opened as the Embassy Cinema on 30th October 1939 with Lloyd Nolan in “Ambush” and Pat O'Brien in “Off the Record”. It advertised itself as ‘South Wales Newest Super Cinema’. Designed in an Art deco style, the facade was mainly brick, with a row of windows over the entrance, above which were four slender bands in white stone. Inside the auditorium seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. There was a decorative surround to the 33 feet wide rectangular proscenium. The Embassy Cinema was independently operated by the Issacs family. The Embassy Cinema had a large car park and a cycle park for the convenience of its patrons.
By 1980 it had been sold to Wyndham Lewis, on the proviso that cinema use continued. Pop shows began to be staged as well as normal film performances. Bingo was also introduced 3 nights a week.
It was later sold to Nudge Leisure Ltd. and re-named Ritz Cinema. The Ritz was short lived and it closed as a cinema on 9th May 1987 and was refurbished to re-open as the Ritz Bingo Club. Bingo continued until closing in 1999 when a new purpose built bingo hall opened in the town. The building had remained unaltered, apart from the installation of a false ceiling in the foyer and remained a fine example of the work of noted architect David Evelyn Nye.
By the summer of 2001 it was being used for storage by a builders merchants and later that year an application was made to convert the building into a bar, but the local council had earmarked the site for car parking. The Embassy Cinema was demolished in June 2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater