No one has favorited this theater yet
In the small town of Aberkenfig, near Bridgend, in south Wales, the Lyric Cinema is not listed in the 1914 or 1931 Kinematograph Year Books, but it is in the 1940 edition. At that time, it was owned by the executors of the late Jane Richards, of Aberkenfig, presumably the person who had the cinema built.
Performances were continuous, with two changes of programme each week. The proscenium was 26ft wide.
The Lyric Cinema was not listed in 1944, but had returned to listings in the KYB by 1947. It was still open in 1966, but had closed by 1980. The building moved over to bingo, which ended in early-2000.
Meanwhile, the Frontline Bible Church had been founded in 1989. It began as the Frontline Christian Fellowship, and met in the Y.M.C.A. in Bridgend. John and Joan Marshall were called to the pastorate in 2001 and, when the former Lyric Cinema came on the market in October 2001, it was purchased and work began on renovating the building, to create the current Aberkenfig Bible Church.
As the work began, a questionnaire was taken around the village to find out what facilities the local people wanted most. Three requests were immediately obvious: a café, a youth club and a children’s club. The café opened first (in 2002), then the youth club, followed by the children’s club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater