104 E. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally named the New Opera House, it opened in September in 1915 and was designed by architect W.E.E. Greene. It was opened by Herman Jochins. It was soon renamed the New Palace Theatre and used for both vaudeville, concerts, and motion pictures.
Built in the Beaux-Arts style popular around the early years of the 20th Century, a tall vertical marquee spelling out the theater’s name was added a couple decades later.
In the theater’s first few years, Herman Jochin’s wife Maude would accompany the silent films on a piano, and, after a pipe organ was installed in 1926, Mrs. Jochins would do the same on the organ.
In 1945 the interior was completely re-designed in an Art Deco style. The Palace has been heavily restored recent years to return the theater to this Art Deco appearance, and today not only still features movies, but live entertainment on its stage.
It would seem that the Jochins loved their theater so much, they decided to stay around there long after they passed away, according to both staff and patrons at the Palace. For many years now, the spirits of both Herman and Maude have been seen around the theater.
Herman, it’s said, likes to stand in the balcony and observe performances now and then, and Maude still enjoys playing the theater’s organ, even during the time it was unoperable, before a restoration returned it to working condition.
The Palace Theatre was added several years ago to the National Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater