3208 W. 59th Street,
18 people favorited this theater
Located in the Marquette Park neighborhood of Chicago on W. 59th Street at S. Kedzie Avenue, the Colony Theater originally opened August 26, 1926 after a year-long construction for the Ascher Brothers circuit. The opening movie was “The Family Upstairs”. Organist Edmund Fitch opened the Barton 3 manual, 10 ranks organ.
The firm which designed the theater was Lowenberg & Lowenberg, in Italian Renaissance style, complete with cream-colored terra cotta decor on its red-brick facade and a row of arched windows over the main entrance.
The Colony Theater not only featured movies in its early years, but live entertainment as well. However, it later moved to a film-only format, and remained so through the 1970’s. During the late-1970’s and into the 1980’s, the Colony Theater was used for rock concerts. Later in the 1980’s, it was briefly used for religious stage shows. In the early-1990’s, the theater housed a flea market for a short time, and by the latter part of that decade, the Colony Theater was used for storage.
Since then, the theater has been vacant. It did very briefly come to life for a few days in the late-1990’s when the former CBS series, “Early Edition”, which filmed on location in Chicago, used the Colony Theater’s lobby and exterior for a scene.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater