American Theater

120 E. 6th Street,
East Liverpool, OH 43920

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

American Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The American Theater was opened in 1909 with 778 seats. The building was destroyed by fire in May 1950.

It was rebuilt in 1951 to the plans of architect Michael DeAngelis. It reopened March 17, 1951 and had 709 seats. It was operated by Interstate Theaters in the 1960’s. It was demolished in 1999.

Contributed by Ken McIntyre

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

clarkw on March 7, 2012 at 2:25 am

This was a very early theatre – ‘teens. There is a fabulous picture extant showing it in the glory days with patriotic bunting hanging everywhere on the facade. This was the building that was destroyed by fire in the '40s, to be replaced by a cinder block rectangle that had nothing interesting about it except a couple of deco-ish lighting fixtures on the side walls. The 3-rank Wurlitzer organ was installed here and replaced an older Kimball organ – likely a tubular-pneumatic job. The theatre finished up as “Ziegler Hall” that operated as a sort of gospel, amateur night venue for a couple of years before folding and becoming the usual parking lot.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 8, 2014 at 3:27 am

The first image in the photos on this web page from the East Liverpool Historical Society shows the original American Theatre as it appeared in 1914. It is followed by a photo of the second American Theatre.

Another page from the Historical Society features four photos of the destruction of the first American Theatre by fire on May 24, 1950.

dallasmovietheaters on February 2, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Grand opening ad from the original American Theatre December 27, 1909 is posted in pictures. Operator L.J. Herron had motion pictures at the outset mixed in with “clean” vaudeville including a magnet performer who performed healing on opening night. They celebrated the 40th anniversary on Dec. 27, 1949 but there would be no 41st for the original American.

A $200,000 fire on May 24, 1950 destroyed the theatre. It was rebuilt using architect Michael J. DeAngelis’s work and the grand opening ad for the “new” American was on March 17, 1951 is also posted in photos. It wouldn’t reach 50 years torn down in 1999 as the last of the operating movie theaters in downtown E-L

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater