142 Federal Plaza West,
12 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: Charles Howard Crane
Firms: Stanley & Scheibel
Previous Names: Liberty Theatre
News About This Theater
Opened as the Liberty Theatre in February 1918, this small, yet elegant building was clad in white terra cotta, and ornamented with swags and fluted pilasters. It was designed by architect C. Howard Crane, with Stanley & Scheibel as associate architects. It was equipped with a Hilgreen-Lane 2 Manual pipe organ (which remained in the building to the end!).
It became known as the Paramount Theatre on July 19, 1929 with the 4 Marx Brothers in “The Cocoanuts”. Its mezzanine was given an Art Deco makeover in the 1930’s.
Closed in 1976 with Bill Crosby in “Let’s Do It Again”, the marquee has since been removed, leaving only a metal framework. An ill fated renovation was attempted in the early-1980’s but abandoned due to cost constraints.
The interior plasterwork was particularly beautiful. The building contains two empty storefronts which have been gutted although the lobby and auditorium were more or less intact. It was demolished in March 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.