Hillsborough Park Cinema
98 Catchbar Lane, Hillsborough,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Hillsborough Park Cinema is located in the Hillsborough district to the north-west of Sheffield. It opened on Thursday 10th February 1921. It was built on filled-in land and although nothing serious has happened to the building, over the years cracks have appeared in the back wall which have had to be repointed from time to time. A handsome building built in red brick with white faience facade mainly above and around the entrance and front windows and parapet. Seating for 1,300 (900 in the stalls and 400 in the circle) was in rose velvet with the auditorium walls painted in rose and green with light fittings to match. A cafe was situated on the first floor at balcony level but was used in the evenings for regular whist drives and card games. In 1923, the cafe was converted into a ballroom, but within a year the card players were back with dances only held occasionaly.
Sound arrived in April 1930 and the cinema was entirely redecorated in 1931. Matinees were held on Mondays and Thursdays but these were stopped in 1952. Saturday Childrens matinees were introduced in August 1955 but ended after two years. Sunday opening was given a trial in 1956 but only lasted a few weeks.
The Star Cinema Group took over the Hillsborough Park Cinema in February 1960 and closed it briefly for complete modernisation, reinsating Sunday opening and the Saturday Star Juniors Club.
The Hillsborough Park Cinema closed on Sunday 29th October 1967 with the double ‘X’ certificate programme “Dr Crippen” starring Donald Pleasance and “Buckets Of Blood” being shown. A week later it reopened as a Star Bingo Club. This ran successfully for several years, then the building became a supermarket, which was a Netto Supermarket in 2008, and is now an Asda Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater