Hillsborough Kinema House
Proctor Place, Hillsborough,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Hillsborough Kinema House stood in Proctor Place (originally called Crookes Place) and was opened on 18th November 1912. It was built to the designs of Benton & Roberts. Seating was for 850 of which 150 were in the balcony. In 1920 the Kinema closed for extensive alterations which included a new balcony and the seating capacity was increased to 1,202.
In the mid-1920’s the cinema was re-seated and a new lighting system added along with automatic screen tabs. Western Electric sound was installed in 1929 with ‘Broadway Melody’ being the first talkie shown on 2nd December. Some more reseating was carried out in 1931 and the auditorium was redecorated. In 1935 a complete remodernisation programme took place by architects Hadfield & Cawkwell. White faience cladding was added to the front facade and the foyer had a new paybox. The proscenium frame was also enlarged at this time.
On the first night of the Sheffield blitz in 1940, a land mine exploded causing extensive damage to the Kinema House roof resulting in closure until October 1941. The Kinema House never opened on Sundays until May 1953. The Kinema House closed on 23rd July 1966 with Rock Hudson in “Strange Bedfellows” and Edmund O'Brien and Vera Miles in “The Hanged Man” being the last two films to be shown. The Kinema House was then demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater