4 people favorited this theater
The Plaza Cinema opened in February 1936 with a seating capacity of 1,176 in stalls and circle levels. It was designed in an Art Deco style by noted Bristol based cinema architect William Henry Watkins.
Built for an independent operator, it was later taken over by the Jackson Withers circuit. The proscenium was 34 feet wide, although the stage was small, being only 8 feet deep. There were three dressing rooms. There was a cafe and a ballroom in the building.
Taken over by the Rank Organisation in 1976-77, they applied for a Bingo Licence, but it was refused. Sold to an independent operator, it was twinned, re-opening on 29th May 1980 with 1,114 seats in the former stalls and 175 in the former circle. A third screen seating 160 opened in June 1988.
In 1997 it was taken over by David Williams W.T.W. Cinemas and a fourth screen was added. Re-opening on 10th July 1998, the current seating capacities are for;300, 198, 135 and 70. In 2016 a fifth screen was added.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater