Carolina Theatre

143 NE Broad Street,
Southern Pines, NC 28387

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

PRINCESS (CAROLINA) Theatre; Southern Pines, North Carolina.

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Carolina Theatre dates back to at least 1935. The building is currently home to an antique store.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 26, 2010 at 4:16 am

The Carolina Theatre was long operated by Charles Picquet. A March 10, 1956 Boxoffice item about his 72nd birthday said that he had gone “…to Pinehurst to operate a theatre there and at Southern Pines in the early twenties.” He had become head of the Theatre Owners of North and South Carolina as early as 1923, so there must have been a theater in operation at Southern Pines by that year.

The article doesn’t mention names for the theaters he was operating in the early 1920s, but the Pinehurst and Southern Pines houses he ran in later years were both called the Carolina Theatre. Cinema Treasures doesn’t currently list any theaters at Pinehurst.

LouRugani
LouRugani on September 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm

(From the National Register of Historic Places registration form:)

Princess Theatre-Carolina Theatre; narrow, rectangular theatre building of rock-faced concrete block with rusticated concrete lintels; front gable roof of metal Spanish tile with round ridge vents; rear addition and fly gallery of brick; gabled facade of painted brick and stucco has two-story central bay with arch containing wrought iron balcony, round-arched window alcove; first floor modern display windows of aluminum and glass on either side of doorway, with side lights and transom: stuccoed panels either side of second floor with projecting wrought iron light brackets; stuccoed gable; modern canvas marquees; windows with transoms on side elevations boarded over; built 1913-14 by T. S. Burgess for Southern Pines Improvement Company and operated by Charles Picquet; in 1924 the building was expanded and given a new facade for Oscar auf der Heide of New York and Dr. George Herr; Charles Picquet and Richard Tufts operated the theatre in tandem with the Carolina Theatre in Pinehurst.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater