No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in West Kirby, near Birkenhead, Meseyside, on the corner of Grange Road, Bridge Road and Riversdale Road. It was built on the site of the Queens Cinema, which was destroyed by fire in February 1932. The Queens Cinema had been the public Hall, built in 1897. The stage area and side walls of the Queens Cinema were retained in the new building.
The first film to be projected at the Tudor Cinema was Sydney Howard in “Night of the Garter” on 4th December 1933. This was shown on Kalee eight machines. The hall was called the Tudor Cinema because of its Tudor style exterior. The architect was Alfred J. Thraves of Nottingham, and it was owned by Kemp and Wilkinson of Nottingham. A fire broke out in 1949, destroying several items. One admired feature lost was the heavy appliqued gold satin curtain.
In 1951 ownership passed to Spring Theatres (Cheshire) Ltd., run by a Mr John Watts. The final screening was on 30 January 1965 with the showing of Kim Stanley in “Seance on a Wet Afternoon”. It became a bingo club, a restaurant, then a shopping arcade. It now still stands in use as offices
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater