Nathan Road, Mongkok,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Nathan Theatre was a neighbourhood cinema in Mongkok on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong. It opened to business in the latter half of 1938, and showed selected films until the outbreak of war on 8th December 1941. It re-opened at an unknown date in 1942. According to a news article published by a Chinese language newspaper, the theatre was in business as of 17th October 1943. During the war years, only films censored by the Japanese Armies could be shown.
The theatre re-opened after the war, with an improvement of its apparatus in 1948, and closed to business in the same year.
The godown-like theatre building was long and shallow, with the stalls only auditorium on the ground floor.
On 3rd August, 1949, the British Armed Forces requisitioned the theatre, converted it into a barracks, and returned the premises to the Hong
Kong Government on 1st January 1956. The demolition of the theatre was finished by October 1957.
The vacant land plot was auctioned by the Hong Kong Government on 28th October, 1957, and sold for HK$3,174,000 to three businessmen. A commercial building was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.