26-28 Old Kent Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally on this site was the Theatre Royal/Elephant and Castle Theatre (built in 1872-destroyed by fire in March 1878). A new Elephant and Castle Theatre was built, designed by architect Frank Matcham, it was the first assignment for this prolific theatre architect. It opened on 31st May 1879 and had a seating capacity of 2,203. It underwent some reconstructions in 1882 and again in 1902.
Live theatre use ceased in 1928 and it became a cinema. Taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC), they employed their ‘in house’ architect William Riddle Glen to redesign the interior in an Art Deco style and it re-opened on 22nd December 1932 with 2,315 seats in stalls and circle levels. The Elephant & Castle Theatre was equipped with a Christie 3Manual/11Rank organ, that had an illuminated console, which was the first one to be built by Christie. The stage and dressing rooms were retained and occasional variety shows were held here. The Elephant & Castle Theatre was closed for a month in May/June 1941 when it suffered from German bomb damage, which destroyed buildings to the right of the cinema.
It was re-named ABC and was modernised in October 1967, when the facade was covered over in blue metal sheeting, to give the building a more ‘modern’ look. Only the stalls seating area was in use and it was refurbished into a ‘luxury lounge’ cinema. In January 1981, the ABC was closed to be converted into a triple screen cinema, which re-opened on 7th May 1981 with 546 seats in the former circle screen, and two screens in the former rear stalls area that seated 271 and 211.
It was re-named Cannon in late-1986 and was taken over by the independent Coronet Cinemas chain on 8th June 1986 and re-named Coronet Cinema. It was closed on 23rd September 1999 with Tom Cruise in “Eyes Wide Shut”, “The 13th Warrior” and “Never Been Kissed”.
After laying unused for almost four years, the Coronet was de-tripled and the stalls floor was emptied of seating to allow a standing audience to attend concerts and use the building as a nightclub, now re-named Coronet Theatre. It re-opened after a 2 million GB Pounds renovation on 19th April 2003. Standing room now acommodates 1,600, with seating provided in the circle for 560.
A new 42 foot screen was installed, with Dolby digital sound and with the circle seating area being used, the Brazilian film “City of God” began cinema use again from 7th November 2003. This was followed on 17th December 2003 with “Lord of the Rings”. Today, concerts and nightclub use are more common than film presentations.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater