181 O'Connell Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Wallis Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Wallis Cinemas
Previously operated by: D. Clifford Theatres Ltd., Greater Union Theatres, Rank Organisation
Architects: Guy Crick
Firms: Evans, Bruer & Hall
Styles: Art Deco, Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Piccadilly Cinema, Forum Cinema
The Piccadilly Cinema opened on 23rd October 1940. It was designed by the architectural firm Evans, Bruer & Hall of Adelaide in association with architect Guy Crick. It is listed in the Film Weekly Motion Picture Directory 1951-1952 edition as being operated by the Clifford Theatre Circuit with a seating capacity of 1,437.
Taken over by Greater Union Cinemas in the late-1960’s, it was re-named Forum Cinema on 2nd March 1967 presenting “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” in 70mm. The single screen Forum Cinema was closed by Greater Union on 26th February 1983. It was purchased by Wallis Theatres, reopening on 11th March 1983 with the name reverting back to Piccadilly Cinema. It was subsequently converted into a triple screen cinema, with screen 1 in the former balcony, and screens 2 & 3 in the former orchestra level. This is a Heritage listed building.
It was closed by Wallace Theatres as a cinema on 6th June 2021. It will be renovated and repurposed as a multi-functional space to be a bar, special events venue and use as a venue for film festivals. A reopening is expected around June 2022.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Whatever happened to the 70mm projector .could still use it with the recent “Murder on the Orient Express” and next year’s “Death on the Nile”. Would have loved for the original single screen theatre to still be there.